Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rapunzel No More: first hair cuts and movie rant

Both girls had their first official hair cut today. I’ve cut their bangs before (badly!) but neither have had the length of their hair cut before. Both girls are tender scalps and I was getting tired of the daily battles to brush their hair. Hailey’s hair is pretty straight but would gnarl up at the ends so we just cut a little length off. Makenna on the other hand, has curly coarse under hair and soft fine hair on the crown of her head. It always gnarled up right at the base of her neck, so it got cut short.

Both are super cute!

Hailey before:
 Makenna's before:








I LOVE the cheezy smile!


On a totally side rant, have you seen the new Rapunzel movie Tangled? (I know, friends, you've all heard this rant, go ahead, skip to another web page, I will understand if you don't read the rant I've shared a million times already)

I took Hailey to the theater to see it when it first came out. Today the hair stylist referred to the girls as Rapunzel. It really bothers me!! This is probably way anal and over analyzing but in my opinion (and lets face it, its my blog, my opinion - *smile*) it’s a terrible movie to have young girls grow up watching.

Slight spoiler alert – that is if you don’t know the story of Rapunzel at all.

First, the witch kidnaps the baby Rapunzel and raises her as her own. Rapunzel grows up calling the witch Mom. She’s a mentally abused shut in who’s convinced that it’s all for her safety and own good. The mom is so demeaning, funny to an adult, confusing to a child and constantly showers Rapunzel with loving words.

Second, Rapunzel, which is marketed to young, 4-10 yr old girls, is the story of running away when her mom tells her no. And, when she runs away, she’s rewarded with “the best day ever!” and finding the love of her life who promises to keep her safe. Can we say teenage rebellion? Why don’t we just teach them how to sneak out of the house while we’re at it. Oh wait, they show that too. Rapunzel asks her mom for a special birthday gift that ensures her mom will be away from the house for a bit securing Rapunzel free time to get away.

Third, the witch, aka mom, stabs Rapunzel’s love when he comes to rescue her. Yep, STABS him!

Forth, (and I promise last) with the help of Rapunzel’s hair, the quirky chameleon sidekick trips the witch, aka Mom, so she falls to her death outside of the tower. It shows her hitting the ground and all. Despite the fact that Rapunzel realizes her “Mom” is the witch, this character was called Mom the entire movie except for the last 10 min’s. When the witch fell, Hailey said: “Oh No! Her mom! What happened to her mom?”

Really bad! How do I explain this? I know the movies of my childhood weren’t all roses. I see similarities in Little Mermaid but the villain was Ursula she was cut and dry villain. I know Tarzan was dark, you see the hunter being hung in the background shadows. Cinderella was a mentally abused shut in as well but we always knew she was being treated badly for no reason by people who didn’t love her. Rapunzel’s mother “loved” her, told her and Rapunzel returned the sentiment. This is the first movie I’ve seen with the girls that I thought: “Nope, not going into our rotation!”

Ok, rant over….

2 comments:

  1. I liked the movie, but i can see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought that Rapunzel's "mom" falling of the tower was too harsh, and also the running away could inspire young kids to do the same, hoping they will find "a best day ever" too.

    ReplyDelete