Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chili

I kind of cheated last night and just made the chili with a seasoning packet and instructions from McCormick.

Did I mention the failed beans on Saturday night? Somehow I ALWAYS screw up homemade refried beans. Seriously, refried beans! Should be simple right?  Not to say that there isn’t skill in Goooood refried beans but I was just going for good. I would have settled for ediable! First off, they were purple! Purple! No I didn’t use a red onion. Second, despite the bacon fat, onion, garlic, milk and ton of cheese, they were bland. We tried to fix them but they were so far from tasting good that my guests decided to go to Safeway for can refried beans instead. How bad is that! Thank goodness the rest of the food was great or my ego would have taken a serious hit. Plus, I warned everyone that I have never successfully made good refried beans so no one was shocked.

Needless to say, when faced with yesterdays chili, I decided to stick to a bona fide, tried and true recipe. Go McCormick!

Maybe I need to watch someone make refried beans from start to finish and figure out what I did wrong. I really don't know! I did not over season; I followed what I thought my Mother-in-law does with her beans complete with the Lawrys and all. I soaked over night; I drained, slow boiled, re-fried, mashed and seasoned to taste. Bleh! So gross!

If you have a tried and true way to make good refried beans please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment