Friday, April 15, 2011

I want to be a peacock

Today the girls and I returned to the zoo with some friends. Yes, I remembered the pull-up's this time, but even more shaming, for the first time ever, Makenna packed her own purse with a pull-up tucked inside. (See, I told you, scarred for life!) The monkeys were sorely disappointed! We were greeted with whoops and monkey calls that abruptly stopped when Makenna crawled up the railing thus revealing her pull-up. Ironically, that's not an exaggeration but the docent assured me it was a coincidence not an actual reaction to my daughter. (Ok, that parts an exaggeration, I did not ask a docent for their opinion on the subject, I couldn't find one.)

The birds were particularly friendly today, coming very close to the crowds and proudly displaying their bright feathers. The peacock was no exception. We saw three full peacock displays today. They truly are beautiful. Actually, I think handsome, is a better description, as the full magnificent feathers display we associate with peacocks is actually from the male. They developed the display to entice female peacocks. The females are more monotone in color and their tail feathers are much shorter and lack the iridescent colors that shimmer on the male.



Tonight is date night, and as I am painstakingly curling my now chocolate colored hair after a shower, exfoliation, shave, a 20 min. makeup routine and at least 5 outfit changes, I realized something. I want to be a peacock! I bet those long feathers require quite a bit of grooming and I chose to believe that it's physically taxing on the male to grow, maintain and display his handsome feathers. All the female peacock has to do is sit back and appreciate the view.

I bet when the Peacocks hit the town for a date Mr. Peacock has to come home early enough to primp his feathers, groom and straighten them and spends most of the date sucking in his gut the to help support the plume. (He wouldn't want the other animals thinking that Mrs Peacock chose a sloppy male.) Mrs. Peacock gets to proudly walk next to him basking in the beautiful iridescent shimmers catching every other creatures eye.

Yep, in my next life I want to be a female peacock. I wonder if Brad would 'primp' his feathers to dazzle me as I am primping for him tonight? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment