Sunday, April 10, 2011

My favorite child

Back before I had multiple children I couldn't understand when a parent would say they didn't have a favorite child. Let's face it, we all have favorites. What I didn't realize was that being a favorite was not a permanent thing; it's an ever evolving, constantly changing, heart felt and illogical spot that can be both positive and negative and held by multiple children at a time for various reasons. Thus, when someone asks if you have a favorite, the answer is no, I have multiple. Even when they are my favorite pains in the butt, it's still a place of honor. There is so much humor, growth and education to be found in the irritating ways they get on my nerves. Now, I rarely see these good things in the moment, lets face it, when you have no patience, ‘humor, growth and education’ are the farthest from your mind its more like time out, yelling and emanate headache. However, in hindsight I can usually find all three lurking in even the most irritating situation.

Anthony is my favorite son, a title he will forever hold. Sometimes he's my favorite child for his imagination, his creativity, his kindness and/or his sense of humor. Sometimes he's my favorite pain in the butt for his stubbornness, lack of attention and lack of organization in thought and deed. Even when he's my favorite pain in the butt I still love him of course, but he, like any child, can grate on my nerves something fierce!

Hailey is my favorite Hailey in the whole wide world, again a title she will forever hold. She is my favorite for her girlieness, her twirllerina skills(a word she made up because she's not just a twirler and not just a ballerina, she's a tiwrllerina), her gentle manor and her genuine happiness in life. She's my favorite pain in the butt for her need-to-be-the-mom attitude, unwavering sense of style and her oversensitivity.

Makenna, oh Makenna, she is by far my favorite Makenna in the whole wide world. She is my child that breaks all the rules, molds and guidelines I so rigidly placed for myself. She is my favorite for her spark, her black and white sense of her own rules, her contagious laugh and her goofy smile. This child can go from happy to sad in 2 seconds and back again. She is completely in her own little world most of the time and if you don't comply with her rules or abide by her requests she’ll protest and loudly let you know that she does not approve. She challenges me every day yet finds a way to reward me as well. She is my favorite pain in the butt most of the time I'll admit, but it's a title that she basks in. If you tell her she's a pain in the butt she just looks at you and smiles that cheesy smile!

Although her and Hailey are very close in age and spend every day together and even dress alike almost every day, they are two completely different personalities. It amazes me how different they are! Hailey is generally very calm, follows the rules, and is almost always happy or at very least content in any situation, even if it's not an ideal one. Makenna has the capacity to be a happy child, but again, it’s only under her conditions. If those conditions are met, she is a gem. If not, she’s a spitfire!

Last night for example, Brad was getting Kenna ready for bed, taking off her clothes and putting on her night shirt. He grabbed a new pull-up to put on her but when he checked, her pull-up was still dry so he didn’t change it out. She freaked! She completely melted down wanting “Dora!” the character on her diapers. He tried to talk to her, reason with her, explain to her, but she was gone. He broke her conditions for compliance. She was in full hissy fit mode. Brad carried her to bed, back arched, howler monkey scream and flailing arms and all. He told her sorry, kissed her and closed the door. Kenna cried for 20 min’s until I went in to put Hailey to bed. When I got in there, Kenna proceeded to tattle-tale on Brad and explain to me that he didn’t get her Dora and said No. I told her to stop crying and I would show her Dora. I turned the light on and showed her that the pull-up she had on was also a Dora one, so she had Dora all along.
“Oh”
She immediately quieted down, kissed me good night and was out in 10 min’s.
See? Her conditions. 

She's always been this way, even as a baby. Happy or Sad, very rarely is she in-between.

Happy
Mad - we had just woken her up - see the hand print on her forehead? She was sleeping on her hand. *Smile*

Happy, but cautious because I was laughing at her and had a washcloth in my hand. The countdown to meltdown was already at critical.
Happy
Mad because we told her she had to eat a bite of food before she could have more drink
Happy, she had unlimited access to popcorn - about to be mad when I put her in time-out and clean up
Mad because we made her sit on Grandpa's lap for a picture

Happy - she found a place to play!
Mad - we told her it was time to get out of the pool, took of her suit and she threw a hissy fit on the steps

Anyways, you get the point, she's just a very unique personality and for that, right now she's my favorite!
















No comments:

Post a Comment