Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mini-Mega cooking day

Sounds funny huh?

I have been asked to help make meals for my husbands ageing grandfather. He is over 90 years old and for now, still lives independently; however, he is starting to have a difficult time cooking his own meals. He has been widowed for many years and has been self sufficient the entire time so the slow loss of ability that comes with advanced age is difficult for him. We’re hoping that since he knows I love to cook and often do big batches of cooking and baking that he will not take it as us viewing him incapable of doing it but rather as just the good gesture we intend it to be. I’m going to the dollar store to get some containers and plan on making approximately 20 meals. They all need to be relatively soft and easy to chew and also ones that can either be microwaved or reheated in the oven with little not no fuss.

So far, my ideas are:

Chicken and rice casserole
Taco Sheppard’s-pie-style with pureed hominy instead of the mashed potatoes
Stuffed tomatoes
Pastina and itallian sausage soup
Chicken noodle soup


I may not make all those or I may add more but that’s my idea list thus far. I will probably shop for ingredients on Monday and bake on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment