Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Freedom of creative expression

So it’s probably because I’ve been talking about it so much, how great it is, how helpful it can be, etc…but I’m now struggling with freedom of creative expression vs meal planning. I’m feeling totally oppressed by the thought of a meal plan. Oh well, hang in there with me as I fly by the seat of my mom jeans.

How do you prepare if you don’t know what you’re going to make? I just make sure to have the staples on hand. Meats (chicken, pork roast, steaks of some kind and beef roast), veggies (from Bountiful baskets) and I use my pantry storage to figure out a meal. I try to always keep on hand frozen corn, peas and lima beans, cream-of soups, beans and good seasonings. From there, I just wing it. Having the freezer stash helps for those inevitable non-creative days. I hate “cooking block” it’s a total bummer!

Tonight’s my once monthly Bunco again so I have to figure out something easy to have ready for Brad. Humm, I think I need more coffee for this. Check back later. J

*Well, that was relatively easy. I made a casserole, can't go wrong with a casserole.

1 bag star shaped pasta
3 chicken breasts
1/2 a red pepper
3 stalks celery
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tsp poultry seasoning
2 tbsp onion flakes
1 cup cheese
7-8 slices of bread
1/2 cup melted butter


I don't care for raw chicken cooked in anything so I pre-cooked it first. Boil the noodles till just bairly done, strain. Chop the chicken into bite size pieces. Dice the veggies very small since you're adding them in raw. Combine all ingredients except the bread into a bowl, mix well to combine. Transfer to your favorite casserole dish. Tear the bread into small chunks and toss in the butter and then top the casserole with them. I used the left over scraps from the heart cut out Roasted Tomato bread. It looks pretty yum! Hopefully they'll save me some for lunch tomorrow. Bake at 350 for 20 min's until warm thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment