Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Best laid meal plans...

Well, that’s what happens when you plan late and don't look at the adds and such. Fresh Cilantro is on recall due to Salmonella crop contamination, did you know that? Normally this wouldn’t matter two shakes in my world except its a key ingredient in three of my dishes this week. The peanut butter pork is best served with fresh cilantro, the spicy cashew chicken requires it as the "green" for the pesto and the albondigas soup uses it in both the meatballs and the broth. So, I found myself stumped while in the grocery store yesterday. They didn't even have the bags of dried cilantro I can usually buy in the mexican food section. My only option was the McCormac's $5 can of it that won't last one meal or, mid-shopping, rearrange my meal plan. I hate that! And, to top it of, I was shopping with both my girls one, who shall remain nameless, loves to cry, whine and wedge herself into impossible spots in the cart so I have to constantly get her unstuck. So, needless to say, I wasn't very creative. I decided on ground beef tacos and chicken soup as substitutes. I went ahead with the peanut butter pork because I already had it thawing on the counter. Instead of the PB Slaw, I made PB noodles instead since the slaw just isn't the same without cilantro.

PB Noodles:
1 box angle hair noodles
1\2 cup peanut butter
1\4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1\2 cup water
1 red bell pepper
1 bunch green onions
1\8 lb sugar snap peas
2-3 garlic cloves
1-2 tsp red chilli flakes or 1 chopped and de-seeded jalapino
1 cup unsalted peanuts

Cook the noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté on low the chopped garlic, peppers, onions and chili flakes. Reserve some of the red pepper for garnish. The goal is to soften the veggies and let the oil pick up the flavors. Add the peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar and water into the skillet. Simmer on the lowest setting until combined and melted. The sauce should be the consistency of alfredo sauce so add more water if needed.
Looks grose huh?


Once the noodles are done, toss in the sauce.
Transfer the noodles to the plate, add slices of the peanut butter pork and top with chopped red pepper, sugar snap peas, peanuts and red chili flakes to taste.

Trust me, the final product is SO yum! I can easly gorge myself on this meal!

My brother is hanging out at the house with me today to help me do all those "man" chores that I refuse to do. Ladies, do you clean up dog poop? Rake the gravel? Clean the sidewalks? Nope, not me, those are man chores and my hubby works from sun up to sun down Monday thru Friday and usually a day on the weekend so I hate giving him a honey-do list that's too long. You gotta pick your battles, you know? My brother is learning the in's and out's of domestication so he's hanging out helping me for the day. Just to be a kind, good teacher, I was lazy all day yesterday, didn't clean up from dinner, let the laundry pile up again and offered to watch my niece today as well. Aren't I nice! Hey, if you want to learn, might as well get the full spectrum! :)

Wish him luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment