Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lazy Sundays

I love Sundays, especially lazy Sunday's. (Someone remind me of this tomorrow when I'm complaining about all the clean up I have to do!) Last night Brad and I got to go on a late night dinner date and he let me sleep in this morning till noon! The rest of the day was cuddling up with my babies watching tv or playing games. I did sneak Hailey and I out for a quick trip to the grocery store for the weekly staples.

I spent most of my weekly budget this week on our mega cooking day. It cost us $200 total for all the ingredients, which comes out to $8.00 per meal! Considering most of the dishes will feed our entire families plus some for left overs I think we did great! So while I don't plan to deplete my entire freezer this week, we will be relying on it for several meals. I hope to get the weekly meal plan up later tonight.

For dinner tonight we're having the Mediterranean Spinach Strata with bacon, a side salad and phenomenal cinnamon rolls. Yum!




The cinnamon roll recipe is my go-to bread recipe with a smidge more sugar and a splash of vanilla.

Dough:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
3 3/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp yeast

Filling:
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
1 tbsp flour

I use a bread maker on the dough setting. I combine the milk, water and butter in a measuring cup and heat for 1 min. in the microwave. Add to the bread machine then pile everything in the order listed. Once the machine is done working it's magic, roll out on a floured surface till the dough is about an 1/8 in thick.

Then spread with a 1/2 cup melted butter. In a ziplock bag combine the remaining filling ingredients and shake to combine. Spread over the dough then roll up.

I use a length of thread to cut the dough instead of squishing it with a knife.

Place the rolls in a buttered dish and let rise until doubled.



Bake at 375 for 10-12 min's until golden brown. Top with your favorite icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment