Monday, January 17, 2011

Cookies!

Morning!
Our weekend was pretty jam packed but I found myself with some extra energy yesterday afternoon and decided to get some baking done. I made Grandma's Perfect Oatmeal Raisin cookies, Chocolate Chip cookies and Butterscotch Pecan cookies. YUM!
I will admit that I do not, and never have, found a perfect recipe for Chocolate Chip cookies, so, I've learned to improvise. I use the Betty Crocker ready to make cookie mix in the cake isle (I usually get them for less than a $1 with coupons) and add a few extras to make them yum. I double the eggs, and add in a good splash of quality vanilla then add 1.5 cups of chips. They bake up perfect every time! Chewy in the middle, crisp edges and just the right amount of sweetness. I used this same recipe for the butterscotch pecans except, obviously, substituted the chocolate chips for butterscotch and added a cup of chopped pecans.
The oatmeal cookies are from my Grandma's recipe. They are the absolute most perfect, yummiest, oatmeal cookies ever. I promise you'll love them!

Grandma's Perfect Oatmeal Cookies

Preheat oven to 375

2c Sugar
2c Oatmeal
2 1/2c Flour
1c Butter flavored shortening
1 1/2 c Raisins
3 Eggs
1tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

First, measure out your raisins and soak them in very hot water, a dash of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla. Let them soak while you combine the rest of the ingredients. Cream the shortening and sugar together, add the vanilla, eggs, cinnamon then soda. Next, mix in the oatmeal until incorporated then add 2 cups of the flour. Drain your raisins, add them to the cookie mix then add your final 1/2 cup of flour.
Bake on greased cookie sheets for 10 min's or until just barely golden. I flip the top and bottom rack pans at about 4 min's just to ensure that all the cookies bake the same. Cool on the pan for a few min's then switch to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment