Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday

Ahh Fridays, how I love thee!
No, I've never found my motivation, maybe I should check in the dryer?
I spent yesterday at home spending time with my youngest brother who's in from out of town. We played games, watched movies with the kids and caught up on all those conversations that are so much better face to face than via long distance phone call. One of his favorite meals is fettuccini alfredo so I switched up the meal plan last night and thawed the chicken broccoli alfredo I made last Friday. It thawed perfectly and didn't separate at all. It was just as creamy as the day we made it. We served it over pasta with a small side salad and some easy breadsticks. It was delish! I can't imagine eating the chicken broccoli as a casserole though; it would be like just eating alfredo sauce with a spoon. Ok, well, maybe on the right day I could divulge into a spoon or two, but you get the point. The breadstick recipe comes from another blog I follow mostly for coupons and conversations but she has some great recipes now and then. The recipe is intended as pizza dough but I modified it a bit for breadsticks.

1 1\2 cup warm water
2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp garlic salt
3\4 cup butter
3 cups flour

Proof the yeast in the warm water for 1-2 min's. In the mixing bowl add all the ingredients and, using your dough hook on low, mix until dough pulls away from bowl then increase to medium for 2 min's. If you don't have mixer just get your hands in there and kneed until the dough is smooth and elastic. Let the dough rest for 10 min's. then roll out to about 1\8 thickness. Using a pizza cutter or other sharp knife, cut into strips width wise about 1 inch wide. Fold the strip in half and twist. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 10 min's. Baste with melted butter and garlic salt and bake for 2 min's. more. Remove and serve warm or, cool and freeze for later.

Thanks MyLitter for the great recipe idea


Today I'm headed to the park with the kids and hopefully do some clean up so we start the weekend with fresh house. We're ordering out from Buffalo Wild Wings tonight for dinner and plan on watching a movie together. Ahh how I love Fridays!

At some point this weekend I need to get to the asparagus from Bountiful Baskets. I found this recipe for asparagus pesto when looking for more to do with the asparagus other than blanching it and freezing it. I'm going to make up a batch this weekend and hopefully the family will like it. If so, then I'll probably make up one or two more batches to freeze.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment