Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Grocery shopping on a cash only system

If you haven't had a chance to read the "About Me" section of the blog then you may not be aware that my family operates on a cash only system. In a nutshell it's exactly what it sounds like, we only use cash. We do not have a debit card or check book and only have one very small credit card for emergencies.
Someone asked me recently how I grocery shop on the cash only system and I thought I'd share the answer here.

First, I figure out what our budget is for the week. It ranges from $100-$175 a week depending. When needed, I can shop for my family of five on $75 a week. Then I look at the ads for Frys and Safeway and compare who has the better overall sales. I try to just go to one store but I'm not opposed to going to multiple stores if the sales warrant. I then make my meal plan based on the meats on sale or what I have in the freezer. I use an excel meal planner that has all the meals I make in it and let's me use an organized drop down box to pick a meal. This keeps me from getting stuck in a rut making the same thing over and over again. When ever I make a new recipe I add it into the meal planner. If I can figure out how to share it here I will.

After I have my meals planned I make up my list of needs. Those are the things I have to have for the week. Then I make a list of wants. Those are things that I already have stocked piled in the house but are on good sale this week and I want to keep adding to my stock pile. At any given time I have 3-4 deodorants, body wash, dish soaps, tooth brushes etc... Combining coupons with sales and/or store coupons I often get most of those items for free or at very least less than a dollar. Maintaining my stock pile ensures that I never pay full price for things I know I can get for 50-75% off. I try not to stock more than 5 of any one item due to space and need. At the end of the year I clean out my stock pile and donate items to local food banks or shelters.

Anyways, once my list is complete, I load my purse up with lollie pops, juice boxes and mini books in hopes of keeping the girls entertained while I shop. (You know you're a stay at home mom when you relish the chance to go grocery shopping by yourself!) At the store, I weigh each produce item and tally up the price of everything as I go. I carry a calculator and keep track of the total. I pull my coupons out as I grab the item and deduct the coupon amount plus more if my store doubles. I usually try to go into the check out lane about $10 under my budget just in case I missed adding anything.

I am not always this diligent but doing this has helped me be able to guestimate as I go with out the calculator and tally sheet for the times I can't or just don't want to be exact. The times I don’t spend our budget amount I use the excess to buy things I know we’ll eventually need such as pull-up’s, toilet paper, dog food, etc. Again, this just ensures that I don’t get stuck having to buy those higher price items on a short budget week.

How do you keep yourself on budget for groceries?

No comments:

Post a Comment