Wednesday, March 2, 2011

This is why....

See this mom here? This is her and her two kids (hubby not pictured)


This is her and her two nephews that her and her husband agreed to take guardianship of while their mother is serving our country in Iraq.

 All the food that's pictured below was brought to her tonight to surprise her and her family. To help make ends meet, to help someone who rarely ever says "I need help."


It's my sister-in-law, Marissa. My other sister-in-law Monica is in Iraq and Marissa agreed to take temporary guardianship of her boys while she was oversees. We have all asked Marissa what we can do to help her and she continues to shine as a wonder mom and has only ask for small favors. So, my mother-in-law and I came up with the idea of the ready to go food's. Marissa works Monday thru Friday as does Curtis so getting home after 5pm to four hungry kids makes for a hectic night time. Marissa admits she's not a “kitchen person” so having all the meals ready to go suits her style. My mom-in-law and I pooled our money together and over the past few weeks I have been coupon shopping getting free or nearly free pantry items and purchasing all the supplies to make these meals. All in all, everything pictured plus a giant box of pantry items only cost $200. We filled her chest freezer plus some of her inside freezer plus helped restock her pantry a bit.

Marissa was very grateful and excited and even thawed one of the items to have with dinner tonight. She said it truly was the best gift we could have done for her. (cue tears!) Her kids, Abby and Jayden, who've had some of the dishes before and loved 'em, were super excited too. Branson, the baby and Isaiah, the 5 year old were most excited about the snack baggies but really who could blame them? Us adults busted into a few while we were unpacking!

I wish I could do more for her but for now, I'll use my love of cooking and baking to hopefully off-set the extra babies she's feeding, tickling, giggling and cuddling with on a daily basis.

*I want to say a special thank you to my in-laws Helen and Joe, who helped fund the supplies and to my cousin, Missy, who helped cook, bake and compile everything. Thank you both for coming together to help make Marissa and her whole, expanded family, smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment