Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pumpkin, Pumpkin and more Pumpkin: Recipes 5

This is my mom’s recipe and one of my favorite applications for pumpkin. Sadly, there are no pictures because if I made these I’d be too tempted to eat two with coffee in the morning, one after lunch, maybe one for snack, a few after dinner…see, bad things happen when I make these. Plus add in the temptation of all the Halloween candies around my house and I’m sure you’ll understand why I am only sharing the recipe and not making the cookies for pictures.

If you have more self control than I do, by all means, go, right now, make these yummy cookies!

Pumpkin Cookies

1 Cup Sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup pumpkin
1 Tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves (or 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
1 cup nuts (pecan or walnut)

Cream the sugar and the shortening together until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, then the pumpkin. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, soda, salt and spices. With the mixer on low, add the flour to the wet ingredients until incorporated. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the nuts.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 15-18 min.’s

These are great as they are but are even better with a light powder sugar glaze over top. Just mix ½ cup powder sugar with enough water (1 tsp at a time) until a thin runny consistency. Drizzle over top of the cookies and serve with a good cup of coffee.

Yum!

1 comment:

  1. OK Jen, you have some great recipes. At this point in my life, everything is looking good cause I shouldn't be eating it. Help. I am trying to be good and watch my weight so find me delicious,simple but satisfing recipes that I can even do. My sweet tooth is going crazy about now. I love pumpkin bread,pie...I want it, shouldn't have it. Can you help me?
    Your Mom in law,Helen

    ReplyDelete