Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

For this past glorious three day weekend, we planned to BBQ with friends, swim, do some yard work, go shopping, watch new movies and eat good food. Instead, I ended up with a very bad stomach flu and everyone but Anthony got an upper repertory cold. So far no one has gotten the stomach flu aside from me thank goodness. I don’t know if this is the bug from two weeks ago resurfacing or another bug that decided to take up residency but I can’t remember the last time I have had a stomach flu this bad. Poor Brad had to spend his whole three day weekend playing Mr. Mom.

What a wonderful Mr. Mom he is too. He may not be a Mr. Betty Crocker but he can still make some delicious dinners. (Not that I was eating anything but the kids were happy.) He went grocery shopping with both girls, did dishes, laundry, cooking and took care of the kids while I slept on the bathroom floor. Although I would have given just about anything to not have been sick, I love it when he’s so domesticated.

 I know he appreciates what I do but times like this give him a refresher course in walking life in my flip flops. He was appalled at how fast money went in the grocery store, watched the dishes pile up in an ever-dirty kitchen and witnessed my fornicating laundry.  Despite not feeling well himself, I think he was secretly a bit happy to go back to work on Tuesday. Now if we could only find a way for me to slip into his loafers for a day with out the tech world ending maybe I would get a better appreciation of his work stresses. As it is, I still need his help to set up my printer so I don’t think it’d be a good idea.

This morning is the first time in 5 days I haven’t woken up with a major headache so I’m feeling pretty good. My main concern right now is Hailey. She is still alert and taking in fluids but her cough is so bad that if she cries or tries to play, she can’t breathe. So, we’re going to the doctor this afternoon. For now, she’s confined to my bed with vicks vapor rub on her chest, ginger tea with honey in a travel coffee mug and the humidifier humming in the background. Somewhere in there is re-runs of Sponge Bob and a scattering of books to keep her entertained.

She won’t let me stray far from her, I think she’s a bit scared by the whole thing too, so I’m not gaining much ground on my very neglected house but she’s my priority. Some where in this week, I need to cook for our camping trip this weekend, that is if it even happens. I just don’t want to decide last minuet that everyone’s well enough and we are going and have nothing prepared. I’d rather cook it all and freeze it for later if need be. We are going with about 20 other people and I’m in charge of breakfasts for both days. Thankfully, I can make easy casserole quiches, cinnamon rolls and French toast casserole. I’ll cook scrambled ‘cheese eggs’ at camp to go with the French toast on Sunday.

When I get a free moment, I have to share with you my success in making plum sauce with the plums from Bountiful Baskets Plumy Paradise pack. I also figured out how to make homemade crab-cream-cheese rangoons that were to die for. I could have made an entire meal out of the rangoons dipped in the plum sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment