Monday, August 15, 2011

Projects, projects, projects!

My life has been over run with projects. I love and loath it all at once. I long for quiet days of nothing but 'regular' chores to do but after a week of that I start longing for a project to break up the monotony.

This week, I've deconstructed three rooms, put up a bunk bed, a loft bed and am, installing hard wood flooring and built a lego lamp.

We found a great solid wood bunk bed on Craigslist that we put in the girls room. It is T shaped, has a desk, built in dresser and several shelves. Hailey took the top bunk and Kenna wanted the cubbyhole bed. I still need to design a new light fixture (the old one is a head injury waiting to happen) and a shelf for Haileys night-night water. I also want to put some fun curtains up giving them a bit of privacy and adding a bit of whimsy to the bed. All of this of course doesn't include their disastrous walk in closet that somehow volcanoed into a gigantic toy mountain. That's a project for a time when I have more patience because right now I'd just purge it all!

Once Anthony saw the girls bunk bed he wanted a loft bed again. He had one several years ago but decided he outgrew it once he started second grade. It was relatively low to the ground for a loft bed, had a tent and a slide so I guess I understand outgrowing it. The new one we found for him (again a fantastic Craigslist find) is a full size metal bed frame, a bit over 6 ft tall, and has a gigantic wood desk underneath. Brad also hooked up a projector under the bed and a screen in his closet so he can now watch his movies and play his games in his room. (On a side note, when did he get big enough for that? We had to come up with all sorts of parents-suck rules to keep him - and us - in check.) The bed was a major pain to put up. It came disassembled with out instructions and had no identifying markers on it for us to figure out the maker. My step-dad and I put together 1/3 of the bed three different times. We would get to a point only to figure out that we had something backwards or on the wrong side and had to disassemble and start again. It took us an entire day to get it done, but, I love project puzzles like that and it was an enjoyable day.

His light is in the way as well so we built a Lego lamp to install on an off set chain. I have to say, it was fun and a relaxing way to spend the day. We watched a few movies and combed thru his huge Lego collection to find the pieces we needed. I'll post pictures as soon as its up.

Lastly, Brad and I signed up to be the installers for my parents new hardwood floors. Actually I think they're laminate but that’s beside the point. Its the click and lock type so thankfully no glue or nails but still tons of time crawling around on the floor. We started one room this weekend but due to a newly discovered leak in the closet, we had to stop 1/3 of the way thru. I have to say, laying the flooring is the easy part. Figuring out the staggered pattern was the most time consuming! Hopefully this upcoming weekend we'll be able to finish the first room and the second. My poor parents house is so displaced right now, we need to get the rooms done so we can move things back into their proper place.

Upcoming this week I have a new (to-me) dresser to refinish and turn into a crafting/sewing storage hutch, two sewing projects plus all the things I mentioned above that are not yet complete. My favorite seasons are coming up quickly so I know this is just the beginning of my crafting blitz. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment