Monday, August 15, 2011

Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole

In the crock pot. (Phew! Long title!)


This is another noshtalgic food for me. My mom use to make a version of this when I was a kid. The only thing I’ve changed, I think, is adding in more veggies.

Ingredients:

3 Chicken breasts
2 cans Cream-of soup (what ever kind you like)
1 10pkg tortillas
1 lrg can Green Enchilada Sauce
3 small cans Green Chiles
1 can olives
1 pkg cream cheese
2 cups cheddar-jack cheese
1 onion
2 stalks celery
1 red pepper
2-3 carrots
2 cups corn (not pictured because I forgot)
1 bunch cilantro

*Cook the chicken in the oven at 350 for 20-30 min's until almost done. Dice.

Cut the tortillas into wedges.

Mix together the cream-of soups, cream cheese, enchilada sauce and diced veggies.


Add a cup of the soup mix in the bottom of the crock pot. Layer the tortillas next, then the chicken, some of the cheese and some of the cilantro. Top with more of the soup mix then continue the layers until the crock pot is 3/4 full. Top with remaining (or extra) cheese.



Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.

To shorten the cooking time, sauté the veggies until tender and cook the chicken until completely done. Then you can cook it in the crock pot for only 2 hours on high just to meld everything together.

*I don't care for raw chicken cooked in my meals, so I always at least par-cook it first. If you are not opposed to it, then you can dump the raw, diced chicken in the crock pot. Increase the cooking time to 6 hrs on high or 8 hrs on low.

You really can't over cook this; it just gets better with time and crunchy cheese!


No comments:

Post a Comment