Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Peanut Butter Hearts (Reese's style)

Happy Valentines Day!

Brad loves Reeses peanut butter cups so for Valentines day I decided to try and make him some homemade ones. I saw this recipe on line (Yea, via pintrest, isn't everything via pintrest these days?) and decided to try it out.
These are....AMAZING! Better than Reeses, sorry, but true.



Ingredients:

1 1/2 C Peanut Butter - creamy is our choice
3 C Powder Sugar
1 C Cake flour*
1/4 C butter
6 Tbsp milk



In your mixer, mix the peanut butter, butter, powder sugar and flour until its a coarse mixture. Then add the milk a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together into a play dough consistency.

*The first batch I made with 4 cups of powdered sugar but I didn’t care for the taste, so the second batch I substituted 1 cup with the cake flour. The second batch was much better in my opinion; it was sweet but did not have the ‘chemical’ taste like the first batch. Cake flour is softer than all-purpose flour but I would think you could use all-purpose if you wanted.


Taking out about 1/4 cup at a time, roll the dough out to about a 1/2 inch thick. Any thinner and they don't stand up to the chocolate. I found it was also easier to work with only a 1/4 cup of the dough at a time, any more and they were hard to pry off the counter top. It helps to sprinkle some powder sugar or flour down before you roll it out. Place the peanut butter hearts on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or saran wrap. Freeze for at least 30 min's.



Usually I buy chocolate bark for all my "coated" projects but this time I wanted these to be as close to the real thing as possible so I bought several Hersheys bars to melt instead. 'Nuke them in a microwave safe bowl for 10 seconds at a time until smooth. Then, dunk the frozen peanut butter heart in and flip over with a fork.
Gently bang the fork on the side of the bowl to knock off some of the excess chocolate. Scrape the back of the fork over the edge of the bowl then transfer the heart to another lined cookie sheet.


Add sprinkles or chopped nuts.


These are seriously so delish! However, because of the Hershey's chocolate they do melt quickly so keep them in the fridge, if they last past the first serving.

Happy Valentine’s Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment