Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Not his Valentine


Isn't this a cute Teddy bear? A Teddy bear holding roses, wearing a golden locket necklace? A perfect Valentines gift.

Sadly, it's not for me.

After spending 20 min's in Walgreens picking out these three things (including "her" favorite candy) he came home, carefully unwrapped everything, took the tags off, put the necklace on the bear and then wrapped it all up.

He, is Anthony, my 11 year old (11!, 5th Grade!) and the "she" is his secret crush. I had to take him to school extra early today so he could sneak it into her classroom and put it on her desk before anyone saw him. No note, no indication that it's from him except, according to him, his attempt at making absolutely no direct eye contact with her today. As if that would be a dead giveaway.

I remember 5th grade. I woke up Valentines morning after dreaming of this very scenario, a secret crush leaving me a thoughtful gift I could treasure for a life time. Unfortunately, it never happened, I never had a secret admirer. I was a bit more ‘outgoing’ for anything to be secret about me. My son however, it seems, is that boy, to some girl. Some girl who probably woke up this morning from the same style dream I had many years ago but, unlike me, she walked into the classroom today and found a well wrapped cute, memorable and thoughtful gift from a secret admirer waiting for her.

Knowing 5th grade girls, she probably died of embarrassment. (And is hopefully cuddled up with the teddy bear, wearing her locket, right now.) J




No comments:

Post a Comment