Thursday, October 13, 2011

Snickerdoodle cookies

I was on the phone with Brad today when one of his co-workers yelled "Cookies!" from somewhere in the background. Brad said he had mentioned my mega cooking day and the boys asked for: Cookies! Usually they request monkey bread or soup. I often bring in food the day before Brad has a day off. I tell the office they can help themselves to the food only if they don't bother Brad on his day off. Sometimes it works. Sometimes.
Tonight, after being forced into slave yard labor today, I wanted to make something yummy, quick and that I had all the ingredients on hand for. Snickerdoodles it was. Typically they call for baking soda and cream of tartar but my soda was flat ( you can tell if you put a tsp into water and it doesn't bubble right away) and I'm pretty sure my cream of tartar has seen 10 years inside my cabinet. This recipe came from Joy if Baking and used baking powder instead. Great cookie, but tastes more like a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon-sugar than a true snickerdoodle. Oh well, I'm betting the guys at work won't complain.





Snickerdoodles:

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla

Coating:
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugar until smooth (about 2 to 3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat until you have a smooth dough.

Shape the dough into 1 inch round balls.

Coating: In a large shallow bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon. I use a paper plate to roll the dough in the cinnamon sugar but a bowl works too.

Roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar and place on a parchment paper lined pan, (or buttered piece of foil if you're out of parchment - like me) spacing about 2 inches apart.




I put the pans into the freezer for a few min's to keep them from spreading too much when cooked.

Bake the cookies for about 6-8 minutes, or until they are light golden brown and firm around the edges. The centers of the cookies will still be a little soft. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.


Yum!

(Yes, there's a hand in my jar of popcorn, isn't it creepy? I love Halloween!)

No comments:

Post a Comment